Men’s Hoops Heads to the Coast for Shriners Children’s Charleston Classic
OXFORD, Miss. — The Ole Miss men’s basketball team is heading to Charleston, South Carolina to take part in a multi-team event (MTE). The tournament, named after Shriner’s Hospital for Children, is set to begin Thursday. There will be three rounds of games that conclude on Sunday.
Ole Miss (2-0) tips-off at 6:00 p.m. (CT) against Marquette (3-0) in Game No. 3 on Thursday. The contest will be featured on ESPN2 or ESPNU. Depending on the result of that game, the Rebels will play on Friday against either West Virginia or Elon, who join them on the Rebels’ side of the bracket. The rest of the field is filled by Temple, Boise State, Clemson, and St. Bonaventure
This is the second time Ole Miss has competed in the Shriners Charleston Classic. The first came in 2015 and the Rebels went 1-2 in the event.
Head coach Kermit Davis has found success in these in-season MTEs as he has made it to the championships of the two that his teams have participated in since his arrival at Ole Miss. Those came at the 2018 Emerald Coast Classic (Niceville, FL) and the 2019 NIT Tip-Off (Brooklyn, NY).
Coach Davis has experience winning MTEs in the past during his tenure at Middle Tennessee. He won the 2015 GCI Great Alaskan Shootout in Anchorage and the Challenge in the Music City in Nashville during 2016.
Ole Miss Fast Facts
- Jarkel Joiner is fifth in the SEC in scoring and leads the Rebels with 18.0 PPG.
- Austin Crowley leads Ole Miss in assists and is third in the conference with 6.5 APG.
- Luis Rodriquez is the only other Rebel to score in double figures, outside of Joiner and Crowley, and he has averaged 10.5 PPG.
- As a team, the Rebels are sixth in the nation in assists with 23.0 per contest.
- Ole Miss is also 11th in the nation in FGs made per game with 36.0
Marquette Fast Facts
- The Golden Eagles are 10th in the nation in FT attempts per game with 30.7.
- Under second year coach Shaka Smart, Marquette is 3-0 following Monday’s win against No. 10 Illinois.
- Darryl Morsell leads Marquette with 22.7 PPG, and he was an ACC DPOTY at Maryland.
- Teams that play against Marquette have turned the ball over on average 20.3 times per game (327th in NCAA).
- Justin Lewis leads the Big East in total rebounds with 26.
Below is a rundown on the entire bracket for the Shriners Children’s Charleston Classic
Thursday, November 18th
- Game 1: 1PM CT / ESPN2 — St Bonaventure vs Boise State
- Game 2: 3PM CT / ESPN2 — Clemson vs Temple
- Game 3: 6PM CT / ESPN2 or ESPNU — Marquette vs Ole Miss
- Game 4: 8/8:30 CT / ESPN2 — Elon vs West Virginia
Friday, November 19th
- Game 5: 11AM CT / ESPN2 — Consolation #1 (Loser of Game 1 and Game 2)
- Game 6: 1PM CT / ESPN2 — Semifinal #1 (Winner of Game 1 and Game 2)
- Game 7: 6PM CT / ESPN2 — Semifinal #2 (Winner of Game 3 and Game 4)
- Game 8: 8PM CT / ESPN2 — Consolation #2 (Loser of Game 3 and Game 4)
Sunday Nov 21st
- Game 9: 9:30AM CT / ESPNU — 7th Place Game
- Game 10: 12PM CT / ESPN2 — 5th Place Game
- Game 11: 4PM CT / ESPN2 — 3rd Place Game
- Game 12: 6:30PM CT / ESPN — Championship Game
Tickets are currently on sale through the College of Charleston Ticket Office. All session passes are listed for $130.
(Feature image credit: Josh McCoy, Ole Miss)