News and Notables in Ole Miss’ 35-27 win over Tulsa
OXFORD, Miss. — Ole Miss fought off a pesky Tulsa team in a 35-27 win over the Golden Hurricane in Vaught-Hemingway Saturday.
Here are the news and notables from the game, courtesy of Ole Miss Athletics.
• This marked the fourth all-time meeting between Ole Miss and Tulsa.
• Today was the first win for the Rebels over the Golden Hurricane.
• Tulsa now leads the all-time series 3-1.
• This was the first meeting between the Rebels and Golden Hurricane since 1964.
• Today’s contest was the first time in the series that the two teams have met in Oxford.
• DE Jared Ivey and DT Jamond Gordon both made their first starts as Rebels.
• OL Nick Broeker and OL Jeremy James tallied their team-leading 27th consecutive start for Ole Miss on the offensive line.
• Other notable starting streaks include S Otis Reese (20th) and S AJ Finley (13th).
• Attendance for today’s game was 60,641.
• Dating back to Nov. 14, 2020, the Rebels have now won 12 straight home contests … It marks the longest winning streak in Oxford since winning 12 straight games Nov. 5, 1960 to Nov. 7, 1964.
• The win helped mark the first 4-0 start for the Rebels since 2015.
• Ole Miss is now 108-50-3 against current members of the American Athletic Conference.
• Ole Miss is 161-92-7 (.633 winning pct.) all-time during the month of September after vacated wins.
• Ole Miss is 103-35-3 (.741 winning pct.) in September home games (including contests played in Memphis and Jackson).
• The Rebels are 78-22-2 (.775 winning percentage) in September games played in Oxford after vacated wins.
• Ole Miss is 114-41-6 (.727 winning pct.) all-time versus non-conference opponents during the month.
• Ole Miss has scored a touchdown on its opening drive in three straight contests.
• The Rebels finished the contest with 51 rushes for 308 yards on the ground … It was the second straight game the Ole Miss has surpassed the 300-yard rushing plateau.
• Ole Miss tallied 28 points in the second quarter … It marked the second time this season the Rebels registered 28 points in quarter (28, 1st Quarter, vs. UCA).
• RB Quinshon Judkins tallied a career high in both rushes (27) and yards (140) … His two rushing TDs tied his career high.
• It marked the second straight in which Judkins has tallied multiple rushing TDs.
• Judkins now has five rushing touchdowns on the season … He has scored a TD in three of his first four collegiate games.
• QB Jaxson Dart finished the game 13-of-24 for 154 yards and two TDs through the air.
• Dart registered career highs in both rushes (13) and yards (116).
• WR Malik Heath led all receivers with four catches for 75 yards and one TD … The four receptions were a new best for Heath in an Ole Miss uniform.
• WR Jonathan Mingo hauled in his first receiving TD of the season and the eighth of his career.
• It’s the first time since at least 1976 that Ole Miss has had a 100-yard rusher in each of the first four games of a season.
• It’s the first time since 1999 that Ole Miss has had a 100-yard rusher in four straight games.
• Ole Miss tallied 109 yards rushing in the second quarter, giving the Rebels four 100-yard rushing quarters this year.
• Ole Miss opened the game with a 6-play, 75-yard scoring drive in 1:39 … The Rebels are averaging 6.5 plays, 75.3 yards and 1:49 in opening scoring drives in 2022.
• Ole Miss tallied a season-high 312 yards of offense in the first half, the most since notching 408 vs. Texas A&M in 2021 … Ole Miss is averaging 290.8 in the opening half this year.
• The Rebels are averaging 188.3 rushing yards in the opening half this year.
• Ole Miss had its streak of holding an opponent to 21 or fewer points snapped at eight games.
• The Rebels failed to tally a sack for the first time this season … It’s just the second time in the Kiffin era that an Ole Miss defense hasn’t tallied a sack.
• S AJ Finley tallied his first interception of the season and the seventh of his career.
• S Ladarius Tennison led the Rebels with a career best 12 total tackles.
• LB Austin Keys registered a career high seven tackles.
• S Trey Washington registered a career high three pass breakups.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
• P Fraser Masin punted fives times for an average of 43.2 yards per punt.
• After recording three touchbacks on Saturday, K Jonathan Cruz has had 17 of his 23 kickoffs in 2022 go for touchbacks.
Evelyn has covered sports for over two decades, beginning her journalism career as a sports writer for a newspaper in Austin, Texas. She attended Texas A&M and majored in English. Evelyn’s love for Ole Miss began when her daughter Katie attended the university on a volleyball scholarship. Evelyn created the Rebel Walk in 2013 and has served as publisher and managing editor since its inception.