Shark Snacks: Mr. B’s BBQ Shrimp
Mississippi author Tennessee Williams once said, “America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland.”
No offense to Mr. Williams, but my three cities would be Oxford, New Orleans, and Nashville. In a clash of my favorites, Ole Miss and Tulane are playing Saturday, so what better time than now for a NOLA recipe?!
I am sharing an iconic recipe from one of my FAVORITE NOLA restaurants, Mr. B’s Bistro. And yes, it’s full of butter, but football season is the perfect time to enjoy all your vices without any guilt or regret.
Let the good times roll! Who Dat, and HOTTY TODDY!
Mr. B’s BBQ Shrimp
- 16 jumbo shrimp (12 per pound, about 1 1/2 pounds), with heads and unpeeled
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (I like Tony Chachere’s.)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (More is more!)
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- French bread for dipping
In a large skillet combine shrimp, Worcestershire, lemon juice, black peppers, Creole seasoning, and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until shrimp turn pink, about 1 minute on each side.
Reduce heat to moderate and stir in butter, a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly and adding more only when butter is melted. Remove skillet from heat.
Place shrimp in a bowl and pour sauce over top. Serve with French bread for dipping.
Yield: 4 appetizers or 2 entrees