What They Had To Say: Ole Miss defeats Xavier with team no-hitter, 13-0
OXFORD, Miss. — Ole Miss defeated Xavier, 13-0, Friday in Game 1 of the series at Swayze. The Rebel pitchers were electric as Doug Nikhazy, Drew McDaniel and Jackson Kimbrell combined for a no-hitter.
Nikhazy threw six no-hit innings, recording nine strikeouts, which tied his second-most strikeouts in a game in his career. It was the sophomore lefty’s third career scoreless start and first career start without allowing a hit.
McDaniel came in to throw two scoreless innings in his Rebel debut. Fellow freshman Kimbrel came in to finish off the combined no-hitter, the first one for the Rebels since last season’s 25-0 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on March 20, 2019, which ended after seven innings.
Offensively, the Rebels notched 13 runs with six Ole Miss players recording at least one hit, while the team drew 10 free passes (eight walks, two HBP).
Hayden Dunhurst had a phenomenal day at the plate with a two-hit, five RBI showing, including his first career home run. Tim Elko also tallied two hits and scored two runs. Hayden Leatherwood and Cade Sammons each crossed home twice, with the latter recording his first collegiate hit.
Our Ross Montgomery was at the game and has this post game video of head coach Mike Bianco, pitcher Doug Nikhazy, and catcher Hayden Dunhurst.
– Rebels improved to 4-1 on the season, and 1-0 over Xavier in the series history.
– Tonight was the first time the Rebels scored in double digits this season (13 runs).
– Doug Nikhazy threw 6.0 no-hit innings and recorded nine strikeouts, tying his second-most strikeouts in a game in his career.
– Nikhazy earned his third career scoreless start, and first career hitless start.
– Cade Sammons got his first career hit, an opposite field single in the bottom of the fifth.
– Hayden Dunhurst hit his first career home run, a three-run shot in the bottom of the third.
– Last time combined no-hitter was last season’s win against Arkansas Pine-Bluff on March 20, 2019 (25-0 win).
– Rebels drew 10 free passes (8 walks, 2 HPB).
– Knox Loposer hit his second home run of the young season, matching his total from last year when he had two in 47 at bats
– Ole Miss recorded its first 9-inning no-hitter since 1966, and its first ever 9-inning combined no-hitter.
(Courtesy of Ole Miss Media Relations)
Evelyn Van Pelt
Evelyn has covered sports for over two decades, beginning her journalism career as a sports writer for a newspaper in Austin, Texas. She attended Texas A&M and majored in English. Evelyn’s love for Ole Miss began when her daughter Katie attended the university on a volleyball scholarship. Evelyn created the Rebel Walk in 2013 and has served as publisher and managing editor since its inception.