Fall camp notes: Rebels hit the field in full pads
The dog days of summer have arrived for the Ole Miss football team—as the Rebels took to the practice field Monday in full pads for the first time this fall. This was the fifth practice of the season for head coach Hugh Freeze’s players. Younger players participated in drills during the first half of practice, while returning players joined in during the second half.
Freeze was pleased with what he saw from his team. “I think there’s a lot of carryover from spring with the older guys that I’m very happy with,” he said. He praised the team’s commitment to getting better:
I see a tremendous amount of effort. Their attitude has been great. I really believe our team can take a stand if they understand that what comes out of these 23 days of camp before we get into game week will have a direct impact when the time comes. Hugh Freeze
Every Rebel fan on the planet is looking for some clue as to who will take over the quarterback duties this fall, but Freeze is not showing his hand. He insists all three of the quarterbacks—Ryan Buchanan, DeVante Kincade and Chad Kelly—will continue to receive snaps with the starting unit.
Freeze indicates that all three of his signal-callers have had some inconsistencies as well as some positives. “On a certain day or certain drill, you feel better about one more than the others,” Freeze said. “One of the big things is when we do put the ball down, no script, 1st-and-10, let’s move the football team … We’ll do that several times this fall. Those will be good indicators.”
- Sophomore defensive tackle Herbert Moore tore his ACL over the weekend.
- Junior tight end Jeremy Liggins has a hamstring issue.
- Junior tight end Taz Zettergren has a case of “turf toe.”
- Senior left guard Aaron Morris has not been allowed to go full speed yet, following his second ACL surgery.
News and notes from Monday’s practice
- Sophomore wide receiver Damore’ea Stringfellow had a second good day of practice in a row. Freeze had been wanting more consistency out of the receivers and Stringfellow seems to be stepping up.
- Though Liggins has been bothered by a hamstring, Coach Freeze indicated Monday that the big quarterback-turned tight end-turned offensive lineman-turned tight end has been catching the ball well in practice.
- Senior right guard Justin Bell is practicing at both RG and center, while Robert Conyers is working out at tackle and center. Ben Still is the starter for now.
- Aaron Morris is much slimmer after dropping 32 pounds from last season. His backups at left guard are sophomore Daronte Bouldin—who has completely recovered from a shoulder injury—and freshman Javon Patterson, who continues to impress the coaches.
- Rod Taylor has been getting a lot of snaps at right guard so far this fall and was practicing with the starting unit on Monday.
(Feature image credit: Amanda Swain, The Rebel Walk)