Select Page

Woodman named Ferriss Trophy Finalist

Woodman named Ferriss Trophy Finalist

Ole Miss junior J.B. Woodman has been tabled as a finalist for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, per an announcement made Monday by the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.

The outfielder is one of five finalists for the award that will be presented May 23 to the most outstanding baseball player in the state of Mississippi.

The other players nominated for the Ferriss Trophy are:

Will Robertson, Delta State
Dakota Hudson, Mississippi State
Reid Humphreys, Mississippi State
Jake Mangum, Mississippi State

The five finalists were chosen by Major League Baseball scouts and college coaches–whose votes will also comprise 90 percent of the final vote. Fan voting will account for the remaining 10 percent of the voting.

Woodman recording an impressive 2016

Woodman has been an integral part of an outstanding season for the Rebels. The center fielder has nine outfield assists–tying him for the most in the nation–with seven of those coming at the plate and denying runs from scoring.

Woodman hit three home runs in a single week and took home NCBWA National Hitter of the Week honors. On the season, the Rebels’ team captain is tied for the SEC lead with 12 home runs. He also leads Ole Miss in multi-hit games (19), RBI (47), runs (41) and steals (10).

Woodman is hitting at a .340 clip during SEC play and is 24-for-54 (.444) with runners in scoring position.

How to vote

Fans may vote beginning Tuesday, May 17, at www.csopavoting.com. Voting concludes Sunday, May 22.

Tickets

Former Ole Miss baseball and football standout and baseball coach Jake Gibbs, who played 10 seasons with the New York Yankees, will be the featured speaker.

To obtain tickets to the Ferriss Trophy presentation luncheon on May 23 at the Cleveland Country Club, call 601-982-8264 or order them online here.

(Feature image credit: Josh McCoy, Ole Miss Athletics)

About The Author

Evelyn Van Pelt

Evelyn has covered sports for over two decades, beginning her journalism career as a sports writer for a newspaper in Austin, Texas. She attended Texas A&M and majored in English. Evelyn's love for Ole Miss began when her daughter Katie attended the university on a volleyball scholarship--and continued as she watched Katie receive three degrees from Ole Miss, culminating with her Pharm D. in 2012. Evelyn, a member of the FWAA, USBWA and the NCBWA, has covered Rebel sports for numerous outlets. In addition to working for The Rebel Walk, Evelyn is a sports writer for a newspaper in Texas.

Leave a Reply

Visit The Rebel Walk Forum

GRIDIRON GALLERY

Get RW Updates

Rebel Walk on Twitter

%d bloggers like this: