Ole Miss vs. Auburn: Four Keys to the Game
OXFORD, Miss. — Each week, we take a look at the Rebels’ upcoming matchup, and this Saturday Ole Miss takes on Auburn in an SEC Road game at 6:00 p.m. (CT).
Here are our “Four Keys to the Game.”
- In the two games Auburn has lost this year, against Penn State and Georgia, the Tigers have been susceptible to play action. In those games, they gave up a combined 21 completed passes on 23 attempts on play action for 292 yards and 3 touchdowns. That should bode well for Matt Corral who has mastered the play action concept this season.
- 1,289 of 1,913 Corral’s passing yards have come on play action passes this season, along with 10 of his 15 passing touchdowns.
- Corral also leads all FBS quarterbacks in dropbacks, completions and passing yards on play action passes so far this season
- This season the Rebels have been penalized 73 times for 636 yards. Both stats rank 128th out of 130 FCS teams. It goes without saying, they need to cut down on these in order to have the best chance to win.
Limit Big Plays
- This season Bo Nix has thrown for 1,488 yards with eight touchdowns and two interceptions. Six of his eight touchdown passes have come on a pass of 20 yards or more. On throws of 20 yards or more, he has completed 12 of 30 attempts.
Contain the Perimeter
- This season Auburn has had success running the ball outside the tackles. They are running outside the two tackles more than another other direction, good for 36% of their rushing attempts this season.
- Eight of their 15 rushing touchdowns have come on outside runs. It will be important for Ole Miss’ edge players to hold strong on the edge and force Auburn ball carriers back inside.
(Feature image credit: Dan Anderson, The Rebel Walk)
Nick Filipich was born and raised in Biloxi, MS. He is an Ole Miss senior majoring in Sports and Recreation Administration. A sports junkie with a great passion for all things Ole Miss, Nick played baseball and football in high school — which is where he discovered his love for sports. He is an avid Braves and Saints fan, and in his free time enjoys spending time with family, friends and his black lab, Dixie.