Editor’s Note: We are excited to bring you Shark Snacks, a new section of The Rebel Walk! Each week, Emily Holly serves up delicious tailgating recipes in her own inimitable style. This Saturday, Ole Miss hosts Arkansas in the Rebels’ 2019 SEC home opener, so in honor of the game against the Hogs, we present Shark Snacks: Sausage Balls.
There are certain things I believe in; among them are God, America, not wearing white after Labor Day, and eating sausage balls the day of the Arkansas game!!!
This is another family recipe and is the perfect snack to eat all day long and even for breakfast the next day (if they last that long). They go perfectly with bourbon, coffee, orange juice, or all the above!
HOTTY TODDY, and let’s make SAUSAGE BALLS out of the Hogs!
- 1 roll of sausage (mild or hot–whatever you like!)
- 12 oz (block and a half) of grated Vermont extra sharp white cheese (Cabot or Cracker Barrel)
- 2 1/3 cups Pioneer Baking Mix or Bisquick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 huge baking sheets with foil, and spray Pam on them.
- Squish ingredients together, and roll into balls about as big around as a penny–no larger! IF you like hot and spicy, sprinkle cayenne pepper on them before baking.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then finish on broil until the balls are golden brown!
*Tip: Bake each sheet separately. Roll the second batch while the first is in the oven.